A web domain name such as digi1.co is a pointer to a unique numerical address (IP) on a computer network such as the Internet, where the computer can serve public content as a web site or private content.
A web domain name contains two parts domain name and domain extension which are always separated by the character dot (.). In digi.co, ‘digi1’ is the domain name and ‘co’ is the domain extension.
A web domain name can be maximum of 253 in length including domain name, domain extension and the dot. But usually it is recommended to have a web domain with domain name within 15 of length.
Though the main use of a web domain name is identification, it plays plays very significant role in the success of the business or blog hosted using that domain name. It is like the internet brand name for a product or a service.
Types of domain Extensions
Original Top Domains
These domain extensions have a specific meaning and are global in nature.
.com, .net, .org, .int, .gov, .edu, .mil, .orpa
Country Level Top Domains
These domain extensions are represent country level domains, although some of these domains can be purchased by anybody , but some domain extensions have restricts based on the location of the person acquiring
It is suggestible to use country level top domain when most of the users of your site are from a specific country or when you are creating specific language version of a global website.
Guidelines to choose a Domain Name
According to Rand@Moz one can follow the below guidelines while choosing a name for the domain.
- Make it brandable, people shall be able to recollect it easily
- Make it pronounceable, when it is hard to pronounce it is hard to remember or type
- Make it as short as possible, worst case 15 characters in length
- Chose .Com over others in case a right .com name is available.
- Avoid Trademark Infringement
- Make it intuitive, the domain shall tell what the domain is all about
- Use Broad Keywords rather than exact matching keyword phrases
- Append words or modify extensions